Group Leader Ritwick Sawarkar
Ritwick Sawarkar, born in Mumbai, India, studied microbiology at Bombay University in Mumbai and received his doctorate in biology at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India, in 2010. He was then a postdoctoral fellow at ETH Zurich.
Since 2014, Ritwick Sawarkar has been an independent research group leader at the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg. He recently has been awarded the ERC Consolidator Award and awarded Alfred Tissières Young Investigator Award by the Cell Stress Society, USA. Starting 2021, Ritwick Sawarkar is Group Leader at MRC Toxicology Unit at University of Cambridge, UK working on “Chromatin control of environmental stress response”.
Qualifications and history
- 1980 Born in Mumbai, India
- 2010 PhD (Biology) at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- 2009-2014 Postdoctoral Research at ETH-Zurich, Basel, Switzerland
- 2013-2014 Guest scientist at Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Freiburg, Germany
- since 2014 Independent Group Leader at Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Freiburg, Germany
- since 2021 Group Leader at the University of Cambridge, UK