Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics, Freiburg
Developmental and Evolutionary Biology & Genetics Immunobiology and Infection Biology & Medicine
Type of Job
Two Bioinformaticians (m/f/d)
Job offer from November 10, 2020
The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg, Germany has an opening for two Bioinformaticians (m/f/d) to start as soon as possible for an initial period of two years.
The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics (MPI-IE) in Freiburg, Germany is an interdisciplinary research institution that conducts basic research in two key areas of modern biology: Immunobiology and Epigenetics. Central questions address the molecular basis of cell type identities, as they are regulated during immune cell differentiation, metabolic response and epigenetic chromatin adaptation.
As part of a central Bioinformatics Unit, you will be working in an interdisciplinary team with close links to different departments, research groups, and other core facilities (Deep-Sequencing, Proteomics, Metabolomics). Your tasks will include
- Bioinformatics consultation and in-depth support for OMICS data analyses
- Software development for integrative analysis (e.g. deepTools, snakePipes) and emerging technologies (single cell assays, long read sequencing)
- help with experimental design and protocol optimization
- Development and maintenance of web services for NGS analysis (Galaxy)
- Database Development (e.g. Parkour LIMS)
- Consultation and training of colleagues and on software and web services
- Academic degree (MSc/PhD) in bioinformatics or related field
- strong programming skills (e.g. Linux, Python, R)
- proven experience in software development and deployment (e.g. Docker)
- experience with databases (SQL) and web frameworks (Django)
- familiarity with large-scale computing and cluster environment (e.g. slurm)
- detailed understanding of OMICS technologies and Big Data analysis
- solid background in statistical data analysis
- fluency in English
We are looking for a motivated team player with strong communication skills and the desire to work in a dynamic environment. Prior experience in the field of immunobiology or epigenetics is a plus.
Based at the heart of the Black Forest, within close vicinity to Switzerland and France, our institute hosts a vibrant community of international researchers with access to state-of-the-art technology (Illumina sequencers, Oxford Nanopore) and a Petabyte Data Center for high-throughput studies. Salaries will be based on previous experience according to the German pay scale for civil service (TVöD) including health insurance and other social benefits.
Handicapped applicants with equal qualifications will be given preferential treatment. The Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds. A childcare facility is directly attached to the institute.
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics