Job offer from August 29, 2023
The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg is looking for a Research Assistant (m/f/d) for the microbiome-epigenome project.
We are looking for a highly dedicated and motivated research assistant with background or experience in microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, developmental biology, host-microbiota interactions, epigenetic regulation, metabolomics or other related fields. The position will be available in the Denboba lab at the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg, Germany (https://www.ie-freiburg.mpg.de/denboba). We have a vibrant, multidisciplinary research environment with top-notch facilities and a friendly, international working environment. The successful candidate is expected to assist the overall lab administration and carries out experiments in support of interdisciplinary research projects focusing characterizing gut microbiota species and their metabolic products using high-throughput cell-culture systems and mouse models. You will be working closely with a team of scientists, staff and students to meet the responsibilities detailed below.The research assistant position is open immediately, initially funded for two years.
- Performs laboratory experiments utilizing standard techniques and equipment
- Assist in the design of experiments, techniques, and laboratory settings.
- Track daily lab supplies and equipment, and order replacements
- Monitor daily lab activities to ensure lab is clean, organized and comply with safety regulations
- Maintain and update electronic and paper lab notebooks and reports
- Classify, label and organize biological samples for easy storage and access
- Help train new lab members on basic lab procedures and equipment use
- Undertake basic administrative tasks such as scheduling lab meetings, communicate with suppliers
- B.Sc. in microbiology, molecular biology, cell biology, developmental biology or related subjects
- A minimum of three years of experience in research assistant responsibilities
- Able to design experiments, implement techniques, and write lab protocols
- Experience in cell culture and basic molecular biology techniques (gel electrophoresis, qPCR, library preparation)
- Well-versed in bacterial culturing, isolating, maintaining stocks and preparing bacterial culture media
- Able to analyze, summarize, and report experimental results using statistical software
- Willing to learn new skills, such as IVF, dissection, and harvesting mouse organs
- A good team player with strong analytical skills
- Experience with anaerobic microbes or extraction of bioactive metabolites is a plus
- Excellent writing and communication skills, fluency in German is a plus
- Experience in high throughput culturomics and NGS data analysis would be an asset
Located in a region that connects Germany, France and Switzerland, our institute offers an international research environment with outstanding infrastructure facilities and a positive working atmosphere that places a high value on work-life balance.
- Payment according to TVöD up to a maximum of E 10 if the collectively agreed and personal requirements are fulfilled
- Social benefits in line with public service (VBL)
- Additional performance-related remuneration component
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Good public transport connections and subsidy for job ticket
- Challenging work in a modern working environment
- Family-friendly offers (affiliated day care center at the institute, parent-child room, breastfeeding room)
We value and promote diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities, so we welcome applications from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from severely disabled people. We would also like to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore expressly encourage women to apply.
Have we sparked your interest? Please submit your complete application including a short cover letter describing your past experience and career aspirations, CV an contact details of three referees via our online application portal via our online application portal by 29.09.2023.
Max Planck Institute for
Immunobiology and Epigenetics