Job Code: 732
Job offer from October 16, 2023
The Max Planck Institute for Immunobiology and Epigenetics in Freiburg has a vacancy for a Linux System Administrator* (m/f/d) to support the local IT department.
The employment is for an indefinite period. Part-time employment with at least 80% is possible.
For the acquisition and scientific analysis of biological data, a powerful a high-performance Linux server network with over 2000 cores and 20 TB RAM was set up. The systems are located in a newly built, centralized data center and are continuously expanded and updated.
The Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics (MPI-IE) in Freiburg, Germany is an interdisciplinary research institution that conducts basic research in two key areas of modern biology: Immunobiology and Epigenetics. Central questions address the molecular basis of cell type identities, as they are regulated during immune cell differentiation, metabolic response and epigenetic chromatin adaption.
Your area of responsibility includes the administration, extension, monitoring and backup of the Linux server environment. You will actively participate in the conception and further development of the system. As a team member of the local IT department, you will independently and on your own responsibility take care of the hardware and software needs of the bioinformatics service group, troubleshooting and performance optimization. You will develop and optimize workflows to handle the large amounts of data generated by DNA sequencing and imaging prodedures in research.
- Bachelor`s degree in computer science or comparable qualification
- The advertisement is also directed at applicants with completed training as an IT specialist with corresponding proven experience in the described area of responsibility
- At least 3 years of experience as a Linux system administrator in server environment and in handling large amounts of data
- Knowledge of current server, storage and virtualization systems
- In-depth experience with file systems and data transfer protocols (e.g. ZFS, NFS)
- Basic programming skills for automation, e.g. shell scripting (bash, perl, python)
- Experience with database systems
- Strong communications skills in English (necessary) and German (desirable)
- Experience with backup and server monitoring systems is desirable
Located in a region that connects Germany, France and Switzerland, our institute offers an international research environment with outstanding infrastructure facilities and a positive working atmosphere that places a high value on work-life balance.
- Payment according to TVöD up to a maximum of E12 if the collectively agreed and personal requirements are fulfilled
- Social benefits in line with public service (VBL)
- Additional performance-related remuneration component
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Good public transport connections and subsidy for a job ticket
- Challenging work in a modern working environment
- Mobile working at a location of your choice within Germany is possible up to a maximum of 40% of the regular weekly working time
- Family-friendly offers (affiliated day care center at the institute, parent-child room, breastfeeding room)
We value and promote diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities, so we welcome applications from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from severely disabled people. We would also like to increase the proportion of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therfore expressly encourage women to apply.
Please apply with your complete application documents, as well as references, via our online applicant portal by November 30, 2023.
For informal inquiries, please email: Mr. Wolfgang Burger, email@example.com.
Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology and Epigenetics