The Transgenic Mouse Unit develops cutting-edge technology while providing the following services:
- Production of transgenic mice via pronuclear DNA microinjection into zygotes
- Production of gene modified mice/chimeras by:
- ES cells microinjection into blastocysts
- diploid embryos - ES cells aggregations
- tetraploid embryos - ES cell aggregations
- morulae-morulae aggregations
- single blastomere, 8-cell stage embryo injections
- Cytoplasmic injections of RNAi (gene knockdown), mRNAs, ZFNs or TALENs
- Sterile microsurgery for reimplantation of gene manipulated embryos
- In-vitro fertilization (IVF)
- TG Unit – SPF colony management:
- breeding for testing for germline transmission
- tail biopsies collection for genotyping
- health monitoring
- data archiving
- Expertise and advice for the experimental design of genome engineering project, phenotype analysis, ES cell culture, establishment of new ES cell lines…
- Teaching and training (e.g. IMPRS pHD students, trainees …)
In parallel, we strive to implement and develop new technologies, e.g. establishment of new methods for ES cell derivation or targeted mutagenesis using Zinc-finger nucleases (ZFNs) or Transcription activator-like effector nucleases (TALENs).
In order to keep track of all experimental parameters, conduct data analysis and edit statistics and reports, a TG-Unit database has been developed. For each new mouse line generated, researchers are responsible for keeping accurate and regularly updated records (e.g. mating details, breeding performances, genotyping and phenotyping results) in our internal mouse colony management database, Tierbase. This software developed and regularly improved with the help of Dr. Peter Nielsen facilitates communication with the scientists and the german authorities (Regirungspräsidium Freiburg), complying with the current legislation on animal welfare.
Please direct inquiries about these services by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We can readily provide you with forms, timelines, and prices for any given service. We also have an extensive collection of references and protocols compiled for your use.