IMPRS-IEM Ph.D. program

How will I pay for my studies?

All students of the IMPRS-IEM program receive a student contract to cover living expenses in Germany. The contract includes health insurance, retirement insurance, and other required insurancess. The contract is based on the TVöD public service pay scale, level E13. The contract also includes an allotment of 30 vacation days per year in addition to public holidays.

The University of Freiburg does not have tuition fees for its doctoral students, regardless of nationality.

I hold a Bachelor degree, can I apply to join IMPRS-IEM?

We cannot accept candidates with Bachelor degrees only into the program.

IMPRS-IEM is a joint PhD program with the Faculty of Biology at the University of Freiburg; you need to have both a BSc and MSc or equivalent (usually 5 years of University studies) in order to be eligible to apply.

I am a medical doctor. Can I apply to join IMPRS-IEM?

IMPRS-IEM is a joint PhD programme with the Faculty of Biology at the University of Freiburg. Applicants need to hold a Master degree or similar in Biology/Biomedicine/Biochemistry or a related subject. The University of Freiburg has, however, also implemented an MD/PhD program which allows medical doctors to perform a PhD on projects at the interface of basic and translational research, the Spemann Graduate School of Biology and Medicine (SGBM).

Can I apply for deferred entry?

Successful candidates from any application round need to obtain their master degree or equivalent by the time they begin the program. It is possible to request deferred entry when applying. You would have to state in your application that you are requesting deferred entry. Please note, however, if you are invited to the interview days and fail to get accepted, you would not be able to apply again in the following selection round.

I am not a native English speaker. Do I need TOEFL/IELTS or similar to prove my proficiency in English?

If you are not a native English speaker, a TOEFL/IELTS or similar certificate is recommended, but not obligatory. Please note that this will not be necessary if your University education has been in English.

Go to Editor View